Spays and Neuters
Keep you dog and cat healhty!
Why should I spay or neuter my dog or cat?
Parkway Animal Hospital knows that spayed and neutered dogs and cats are healthier and better-behaved pets. They are healthier because spaying and neutering prevents and reduces the risk of many deadly diseases. They are better behaved because hormonal-induced behaviors (like roaming) are reduced. Also, we all know that spaying and neutering controls the pet population!
Here’s some great news: puppies and kittens receive a 10% discount off of spays and neuters. To qualify, they must have received 2 sets of vaccines at Parkway Animal Hospital, including their final set and be between 6-8 months.
What does your dog and cat need to stay healthy?
Proper Nutrition & Exercise
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best medicine to prevent heartworm disease ?
Parkway Animal Hospital knows that ProHeart 6 is the most effective heartworm preventative currently on the market to prevent heartworm disease in the Lafayette area. Over the past years, the veterinarians in our area have noticed an increase in the number of cases of dogs that test positive for heartworms, although their owners have faithfully provided monthly heartworm prevention. We have not experienced this with ProHeart 6.
- ProHeart 6 is convenient: It is given only 2 times per year!
- ProHeart 6 is given by injection, so you know that your dog has received his or her medication.
- ProHeart 6 is the most convenient and effective way to prevent heartworms for dogs in the Lafayette area.
When should I spay or neuter my dog or cat?
We believe that 6 months is the ideal age to spay or neuter your dog or cat.
When should I vaccinate my puppy or kitten?
Puppies and kittens require a series of vaccinations to protect them from contagious diseases. We recommend a series of vaccinations at 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks, and 16 weeks.
Which flea prevention is best?
At Parkway Animal Hospital, we are serious about fighting fleas. We offer Bravecto, Nextgard, and Comfortis for dogs and Bravecto, Comfortis, and Revolution for cats.
Why are dental cleanings important?
- The most common disease in companion animals in periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is a PLAQUE-INDUCED INFECTION of the gingiva (gums) and supporting ligaments of the teeth. If left untreated the teeth will become very loose, abscesses can develop, patients may experience pain while eating, and systemic infection could occur.
- Because periodontal disease is a plaque-induced infection the treatment and prevention of this disease is to have all the plaque removed and the teeth cleaned.
- We recommend that patients have their teeth cleaned either yearly or every other year in hopes to prevent and/or treat this disease before it becomes too severe.
What is pre-anesthesia bloodwork?
- Pre-anesthetia blood work checks blood values related to the liver and kidney function. Checking the function of these two organs before surgery is important because they are the organs primarily involved in processing the drugs used for anesthesia.
- Parkway Animal Hospital highly recommends pre-anesthetia blood work for every patient before surgery for this reason.
- Parkway Animal Hospital also offers elective IV catheter placement for an additional surgical safety precaution.
Is anesthesia safe?
If you are asking this question, you know that surgical safety should be a priority. Rest assured that the team at Parkway Animal Hospital offers safe and monitored anesthesia services. We monitor body temperature, heart rate, blood oxygen level, and blood pressure throughout the procedure. We also offer intravenous catheter placement and pre-anesthesia bloodwork for additional safety precautions.
Does my pet need a microchip?
Yes! At Parkway Animal Hospital, we know that microchips are a great way to protect your pets if they are lost or stolen. A great time to have a microchip inserted is during their spay or neuter procedure. In fact, we offer a discount on microchipping when added on to a surgical procedure.
We are here for you and your pet!
1007 Albertson Parkway
Broussard, LA 70518